Sunday 14 February 2010

Snow days

Another point where New York diverges from Toronto: snow. Snow here is less frequent, and thus has a bigger impact on the city. NYC will get the occasional light snowfall, but now and then there will be a 'Noreaster' which is a big storm that hits the northeast corner of the States. Last week we had one of these such 'blizzards' where we got about a foot of snow, six inches of which stuck overnight, and then it all turned to slush. The morning of the blizzard I came out of my building, heading to work, and I was gobsmacked by how dead the street was. The city basically shut down for the day. I managed to get my shift at work in, but by the time I got home (2ish) stores were closing down early, everyone was heading home. And so I stayed in my apt watching the snow fall for the rest of the evening, and for the first time, in the city that never sleeps, I couldn't go anywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, well, in London the city panics with a light dusting, and shuts down with one inch!

    ReplyDelete