Thursday 4 February 2010

New York Visitors

I recently had my first real visitor in my NYC studio (apart from my mum - sorry mum). I love visitors – it often means I’ll get to do things that I wouldn’t otherwise. Some highlights:

BAM: We went to see "As You Like It" at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, which is part of the Sam Mendes 'Bridge Project,' - a company created of both American and British actors. My friend (who, just for context, is Italian born and raised) leans over and says to me: are only some of them doing English accents? Isn't that a bit weird?

I don't think it is weird, because although I'm not that familiar with how Shakespeare is done in America, it's pretty standard these days (in Canada) to do one's own accent. (After all, the kind of English accent that Shakespeare would have had, I hear from experts anyway, sounds much more like how they speak in Newfoundland. Weird.)

Anyway, the production was ok, which was a bit disappointing considering all the hype. I mean, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't inspiring. Highlights:

Set: high production value. Orlando: flat, ugh. Rosalind: annoying, Jaques: amazing. (which by extension meant that the 'All the World's a Stage' speech almost made up for the rest of the production)

House of Yes: Saturday night was spent at The House of Yes - typical Williamsburg (well ok, Bushwick) warehouse style indie space, $10 cover, four or five bands, BYOB. We ended up leaving early (I wasn't feeling well). Still, we managed to see the first three bands, pole dancers (she looked good on the pole but we realized it was an optical illusion, since when she got down you could see that she must have been anorexic), fire-eaters, a lady about the age of a grandma yoga-dancing to the second band, and a gymnastic routine.


Who’s next?

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy your stuff. I think you could take a job as a theatre critic.
    Auntie

    ReplyDelete