Thursday 10 June 2010

Would you like a side of crazy with that?















New York has more than its fair share of crazies. In fact on any given day, on my way to the shop, or to university, on the subway or on the street, someone will yell something unusual at me. Usually I can't hear them because I've got my headphones on, but it's obvious when it happens. And I'm sort of used to it. In New York, anyway.

But I'm realizing that Toronto has its fair share of crazies as well. And I'm not just talking about the folks who I serve at the restaurant that I work at, who certainly do their fare share:

"OH so there's chicken already IN the Thai Chicken Salad, is there? I didn't realize!"

"Can we get two waters and split a salad?"

"Could I get a veggie burger, no bun, side salad, no dressing, and a diet coke?" [me (thinking): sorry, this is a restaurant, did you want to order anything with actual CALORIES?]

People seem to be getting crazier and crazier, but today I had an experience that wins the gold medal of crazy. After lunch with a friend, I was walking north on Yonge Street (the main street of Toronto) and there was a small pedestrian detour because of some construction. So there was a sort of 'pedestrian merging' that was happening, when all of a sudden the lady in front of me slowed down and stopped. So I waited for another lady to pass by, and then started walking past her when I noticed that she was saying something, so I took off my headphones to make sure she was ok, only to hear her yelling: "STOP FOLLOWING ME!" At first I was wondering if she was even talking to ME, so I gave her something of a confused look to which she responded, "OH YEAH you people always look so confused when I say this..."

Me: "??? Lady, you are seriously paranoid."

Her: "YES I KNOW, I KNOW!" she continued as I put my headphones back on and continued on my way.

Next time can I get my crazy on the side?

No comments:

Post a Comment